2008 WWE King of the Ring

2008 WWE King of the Ring
William Regal - a big push followed by a 60 day suspension.

10/29/07

For Me, Cyber Sunday Is a Special Time...

... a time when I, the professional professional wrestling fan, get to choose what matches and stipulations I want to see. Would I like to see 'The Legend Killer' defend the WWE Championship against the 'Heart-Break Kid,' or perhaps 'The Rainbow-Haired Warrior,' or even Mr. Kennedy? It's my choice to choose.

I make it sound much more interesting than it actually is. It's like voting for the President. It's pretty obvious who is going to win and your vote doesn't really count. I voted for Mr. Kennedy. Why? Because Shawn Michaels is old and Jeff Hardy needs a little more prepping before he is a main event guy. Mr. Kennedy isn't exactly a main event guy either, but he's pretty close and he is always working a good match... always. Of course, everybody wanted to see Shawn Michaels wrestle Randy Orton. The finish was lame... and I'm noticing allot of lame count out/disqualification finishes over the last 4 or 5 PPVs.

In actuality, Cyber Sunday is not a special time. It's a waste of time... and it's a waste of money. However, the Kidd and myself are compelled and obligated to view each and every PPV in order to keep you, the loyal fans and readers of Outside Interference, up to date on the happenings of Professional Wrestling and Sports Entertainment.

We wanted to see Chris Jericho return. I was suspicious about the countdown I previously posted about, but I had to take the chance. It would have been a brilliant build-up to his return. Y2J with a secret website counting down to his 2nd Coming at Cyber Sunday. The whole thing would have been very... 'computery.' (By the way, I have trademarked the term 'computery' and I own it. If someone wants to use it, I must get paid.)

The Batista/Undertaker match was pretty good... not excellent, not stellar, not super-duper... but above average. It was definitely NOT as good as the hype surrounding it... but rarely do matches live up to the hype in the WWE anymore. The Ken Kennedy/Jeff Hardy match was pretty good also... just pretty good. The best match of the night was hands down Triple H/Umaga. I like Umaga. Normally I hate 'monster heels,' and I really don't like Umaga's whole image, but I think he works a good match and he's not afraid to take any bumps. He's going to have a long career - barring any serious injury - and, although he'll never be a top guy in a promotion, he'll always be in the upper-echelon... sort of like Kane. Heck, I would go so far as to say that Umaga is 'the next Kane.' Actually, it would be pretty cool if good ol' J.R. started calling him that. Maybe Lillian Garcia could introduce him like that also.

'Making his way down to the ring... from the isle of Samoa... 'The Next Kane,' Umaga...'

Maybe it won't work... but it's better than 'The Rainbow-Haired Warrior' by gum.

So, two things before I sign off...

1. Chris Jericho should return on RAW tonight. The video promo says 'save_us.x29.' With X being the roman numeral for 10, and 10 meaning the 10th month of the year, and the 10th month of the year being October, October being this month, and the 29 meaning the 29th day of October, and today being the 29th, I am assuming he shows up tonight. If he doesn't, I'm giving up on seeing him anytime soon. I refuse to get my hopes up anymore.

2. I hate bashing the WWE. I really do. It is a promotion that has brought me years and years of entertainment. I grew up watching it and I refused to grow up because of it. I love it. I admit I will bash it once in awhile, much like I did in this blog. However, I am going to go out on a positive note concerning Vince McMahon and his promotion. I will list them...

Ken Kennedy: He is an entertaining wrestler with both promos and in-ring ability. He has a bright future.
Jeff Hardy: The more I think about it, the more he appears to be the next Shawn Michaels. Look for him to receive a gigantic push and as of now I'd make him the favorite to win the Royal Rumble.
Umaga: See above.
John Cena: Love him or hate him... I personally don't mind him, but I don't like his being the top guy... he is the top guy. The fans love him for the most part. Now, if you hate him, you're most likely a well-educated pro-wrestling fan. If you love him, you're probably a 'mark.' But, it is good to have a charismatic top guy. He sells and somebody that sells is good for the pro-wrestling industry. It keeps it all going. I'll wager that ratings go down for the duration of his injury and absence. He's young, he's strong, he has great microphone skills, he has the look, and he's charismatic. Whatever! The point of this blog isn't to argue John Cena. You can hate him and I won't defend it. My point is that he is good for business.

I totally went off the subject. The subject was Cyber Sunday. Overall, it sucked and was disappointing. It was nothing special.

No comments: